The project of the Benois wing was executed in 1910 – 1912 by architects L. N. Benois and S. O. Ovsyannikov. The building was initially designed for exhibitions of various artistic associations and unions. The laying was held on 27 June 1914, but the war has stopped works, and the construction was completed only in 1919. The Russian Museum of the Benois wing was passed in the early 30-ies.
Since it houses a permanent exhibition of art of the late XIX – early XXI century, as well as halls for temporary exhibitions.
In the postwar period, the special transition connected buildings Rossi with the Benois wing.