History of the mansion – from the building in 1730 – 1740-ies to the end of the twentieth century – is told through historical documents and architectural plans and photographs of the interiors of the early twentieth century. Here are the details of the owners, their portraits and family crests.
The first section is devoted to Nikolai Petrovich Rumyantsev (1754 – 1826) – statesman, Chancellor of the Russian Empire, philanthropist and collector of ancient written records; activities "Rumyantsev circle", engaged in the study and systematic "domestic antiquities"; history of the Rumyantsev Museum in St. Petersburg and its translation in Moscow.
The fate of the mansion in the twentieth century is presented in the first photographs devoted to defense of the Leningrad city in 1941 – 1944 and its postwar reconstruction. Stages of GMI St. Petersburg are highlighted specially . The modern history of the palace is reflected in the photographs and materials on the restoration work.
The tour of the Rumyantsev Mansion, named in honor of one of the most prominent home owners in the first quarter of the XIX century, Nikolai Petrovich Rumyantsev (1754 – 1826) carried out during the working hours of the museum. Outstanding statesman, educator and philanthropist, he bequeathed his house filled with unique collections of antiquities and the largest at the time of book collections in Russia "for a good education".
In 1831 the mansion was opened the Russia's first private public museum. In 1861, the Rumyantsev Museum was transferred to Moscow. Later his collection formed the basis of the meeting of the Russian State Library and the Museum of Fine Arts named after A. S. Pushkin.
Mansion as private property passed from one owner to another. From 1880 to 1916 it belonged to the Dukes of Leuchtenberg, the descendants of the ruling dynasties of Russia and France. Restoration of the historic interiors of the mansion, that were completed in 1880 by an architect A. Stepanov, was done for the 300th anniversary of St. Petersburg.
On the facade following inscription is restored – "FROM STATE CHANCELLOR RUMYANTSEV FOR GOOD EDUCATION". The exhibition "Rumyantsev Mansion. History of the house and its owners precedes the Museum exhibits on the history of the city of the first half of the twentieth century. The materials on the history of the house from the original owners to the period when the mansion got the status of the museum are presented here.
Mon – Sun: 11.00 – 18.00
Cashier: 11.00 – 17.00
Closed on Wednesday
Friends, we draw your attention to the fact that the time and days of the Rumyantsev’s Mansion may vary, so we recommend to call before visiting +7 (812) 571 – 75 – 44