Arctic Museum was opened to the public Jan. 8, 1937, but the decision on its establishment was made much earlier. Already in the 1920s in connection with an active research in the Arctic, many prominent scientists and explorers made proposals on the organization of the permanent polar museum. In 1930, the Presidium of the USSR Central Executive Committee had approved the decision on the establishment of the All – Union Arctic Institute (VAI), which as a special department of the Museum of the Arctic was envisaged.
Originally the museum exhibits were stored in the basement of the VAI and only used for exhibitions. In 1933 the Arctic Institute to create the museum was loaned to building of the former St. Nicholas Church on Common Faith Marat Street, built in 1820 – 1838, by architect A. Melnikov.
During the 1934 – 1936 years, by architect Sivkov premises of the former temple was reconstructed as a museum, At the same time, employees of the museum developed the scientific concept of the Arctic, and collect artifacts, created a static display, Active participation in the organization of the museum took scientists and researchers in the Arctic, the first Chief of the Northern Sea Route Schmidt, the first director of VAI Samoilovich, Academician Yu.M. Shokalsky, researchers Vize, I , Gakkel, A. Laktionov, N. Pinegin and others, Since the opening of the museum his team wanted to respond quickly to all the important events in the Arctic. So in September 1938 the exposition dedicated to the work of the first drifting station North Pole – 1 (May 1937 – February 1938), It was presented Papaninites living tent, their personal belongings, appliances and equipment,
Museum quickly gained not only domestic but also international recognition. In 1937 at the World Exhibition in Paris, its exhibits were awarded the Honorary Diploma. In 1950 began a new phase in the development of the polar regions of the globe – the systematic study of Antarctica. Collection of the Museum replenished new exhibits of the first Soviet Antarctic expeditions. In July 1958, the museum received a new name – the Arctic and Antarctic Museum,
February 2, 1998 by the Decision of the Government of the Russian Federation, to the museum was accorded a new status – Arctic and Antarctic Museum (RGMAA), At the moment RGMAA is the world's largest museum, whose collection (about 100 thousand exhibits) is devoted to polar issues. It presents the archaeological sites and relics relating to the history of the development of the Northern Sea Route, including the archaeological collection of household items of Pomors first half of the XVII century, found AANII expeditions led by Okladnikov (1945) on the extreme north – east of Taimyr and M. Belov (1968 – 1973 gg.) in place of the ancient Russian city Mangazeya,
Among the exhibits are also devices and expedition equipment, writing, maps and printed sources, documentary photographs. In the museum store photographs of many significant events in the Arctic, including the initial period of the world's first line of Arctic icebreaker "Ermak" (1899 – 1901 ), the activities of the Hydrographic Expedition Arctic Ocean (1910 – 1915 ) hike on the icebreaker "Krasin" for the salvation of members of the Italian expedition on the airship "Italia" (1928), the work of the first drifting station SP and the first Soviet Antarctic expeditions. RGMAA has archives of famous polar captains of Soviet polar explorers, as well as designer of the first atomic icebreaker "Lenin" and the atomic icebreaker "Arktika",
There is interesting collection of paintings and drawings, which presents the work of artists A. Borisov and N. Pinegina, original creations Tyko Vylka and students of the Institute of the North, the representatives of Soviet realism I. Ruban, M. Kaneeva, V. V. Fomenko, N. Martynov, O. Kotelnikov, A. Medvedev, participants work of SAE N. Shvyrkova and Kostyrskiy , as well as a professional traveler F. Konyuhov.
Tue – Sat: 10.00 – 18.00
Cashier: 10.00 – 17.30
Sunday: 10.00 – 17.00
Cashier: 10.00 – 16.30
Closed on Monday, Tuesday
Friends, we draw your attention to the fact that the time and days of the Russian State Museum of Arctic and Antarctic are subject to change, so we recommend to call before visiting +7 (812) 571 – 25 – 49.